If you’ve been playing on Nintendo Switch as a single player, you may ask yourself how to unlink your Nintendo Account from Switch after finishing the login process. It’s because when you use your Nintendo Account with the device, it can tie your profile and other game data stored in the network. That way, even if you play on different devices with the same user ID, your profile will not be overwritten. Instead, each device will have its own login details so that all your game data is kept separately from one another. To keep things simple, we’ll show you how to unlink your Nintendo Account from Switch in this article. Read on to find out more!
How To Unlink Nintendo Account From Nintendo Switch?
- Open the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo Switch. Find the game you want to download and click on the “Buy” button. Confirm the purchase and the download will start. When the download is finished, the game will appear in your library.
- Select the game you want to unlink from your Nintendo Account. Select the “Link” button on the top left corner of the game.
- Enter your Nintendo Account password and select “Unlink”.
- You will be asked to confirm that you want to unlink your account from that game, then select “Unlink” again.
- Your account will now be linked with that game and you can play it on any of your Switch consoles or PC using SpotPass or Download Play as well as other online features including online play, but it will not appear in the Nintendo eShop.
- You can always re-link your account by going back to step 2 above again and selecting “Link” then follow steps 4-5 again until you are successful in un-linking your account from that particular game again, then repeat steps 1-2 again until all games are linked on different accounts/consoles/PCs.
- To unlink any of the other games you previously linked to your Nintendo Account, select the “Link” button on the top left corner of that game and follow steps 1-2 above.
- You can also unlink any game from your Nintendo Account from any console by going to the Nintendo eShop on that console and selecting the “Buy” button, then selecting Link and following steps 1-2 above.
- To re-link any of the games you previously unlinked from your Nintendo Account, go back to step 2 above and select “Link” then follow steps 4-5 again until you are successful in linking your account again with that particular game, then repeat step 1 above until all games are linked to different accounts/consoles/PCs again.
- If you have multiple accounts on one console/PC, eShop purchases made on one account will be synced across all devices only if you sign in with the same account on each device. So if you have multiple accounts on a single console/PC, you will have to link/unlink the account (either through a Nintendo Account or your email/password) on all devices before you can purchase from eShop again.
How To Link Nintendo Account With Switch?
- Go to your Nintendo account and select “Sign in to your Nintendo Account” on the top right. If the account is not linked with your Switch, you will be asked to link it with your Switch console.
- Click on “Nintendo Switch Online”
- On the left side of the page, click on “Account” at the top right corner and select “Link a Nintendo Account”
- Enter your email address and password (if needed) and select “Sign In”.
- Select “I have another Nintendo system or device”. If you do not have another system or device connected to the internet, it is recommended that you set up a wired connection for the best results.
- Select “Link Your Devices”. You’ll be asked to connect your system or devices via Ethernet cable for best results if you are not using a Wi-Fi connection. If you are using Wi-Fi, then skip this step and proceed with connecting via Ethernet cable after this step is completed.
- Select “Link My Devices”. You’ll be asked to connect your system or devices via Wi-Fi for best results if you are not using an Ethernet connection. If you are using Ethernet, then skip this step and proceed with connecting via Wi-Fi after this step is completed.
- After completing the above steps, your Nintendo account will now be linked with the Switch console. To verify it, go to the “Manage” button on the top right corner of your Nintendo account page and select “System Settings”. You will see that your Nintendo account is linked with Switch under the “Nintendo Switch Online” section on the left side of the page.
Why Should You Unlink Nintendo Account From Switch?
- If you want to sell your Switch, you may want to unlink your Nintendo account from the device as it will delete all the data including game saves and virtual items.
- If you want to give your Switch to a friend or family member, you may want to unlink your Nintendo account from the device so that they can’t access any online features.
- You can also use this process to re-link your Nintendo account from a new device or transfer it from one device connected to the Internet (e.g., PC) to another (e.g., Switch).
- If you have multiple devices using the same account, for example, more than one Nintendo Account on a single PC, then unlink the accounts and link them again on different devices before making changes on those devices if you wish.
- Unlinking your Nintendo Account will not affect any of your existing game saves and virtual items stored on that profile; all existing game saves and virtual items will remain unaffected after unlinking.
- If you want to use Nintendo eShop on a different device, you must re-link your Nintendo Account on the new device before using Nintendo eShop.
- If you wish to link your account with a new device, then you can do so by linking it again on the same Switch console after unlinking it from that device.
- Unlinking your account will not delete any data already stored by the Switch console or other linked devices (e.g., Wii U).
- You can only unlink your account once every 12 months from each of your linked Nintendo devices, including from your PC and mobile devices (if connected to the Internet).
- To re-link your account, go to the “Nintendo Switch Online” screen and select “Link Nintendo Account”. You will be prompted to confirm by selecting “Yes, link data” and then entering the information of the new device where you wish to access Nintendo eShop.
That concludes our guide on how to unlink your Nintendo Account from Switch. We hope that this guide has helped you understand the process of linking and unlinking your Nintendo Switch devices. Remember that you can use the same account on multiple devices, but the data on each device is separate.