With the release of the new Oculus Quest standalone headset, it’s now possible to experience VR from a standalone device that doesn’t require you to tether yourself to a PC or other external devices. You can just pick up the headset, put it on, and dive right into virtual reality. The Oculus Rift has had the ability to stream content to Chromecast-connected TV screens since 2016. It was one of the key reasons why anyone would prefer using their Rift over another device like the HTC Vive. But the new standalone Oculus Quest won’t have that same functionality out of the box. In this article we’ll explain what that means, as well as how you can still get your Oculus Quest set up with a Chromecast-connected screen in your home.
How To Stream Oculus Quest To TV Without Chromecast
Connect Oculus Quest to your Chromecast-connected TV
The first step is to get your Oculus Quest set up with your TV. The easiest way to do this is by using the HDMI cable that came with the headset, which plugs into the headset and then into your TV. You may need a larger HDMI cable since the Quest itself is pretty large. If you’re using a PC or another device to connect the headset, don’t forget to plug it in before you plug it into the USB port on your TV.
Download and install Oculus Video
The next step is downloading and installing Oculus Video on your Oculus Quest. On Android, this can be done by visiting play.oculusvr.com in Chrome or Firefox and pressing “Play.” It’ll download an app from Google Play called “Oculus Video” that lets you stream video from your computer to an Android device over local Wi-Fi networks or over a cellular connection (over WIFI). You’ll also need to make sure that you have at least 3.5GB of free storage space on your phone or tablet, or else you’ll be prompted to download a file called “Oculus Video Player.”
The Feature Of Oculus Quest Stream
- Oculus Quest Stream is a feature that allows you to stream video content from your PC or Mac to your Oculus Quest through the USB-C port. You can also stream video from a PlayStation 4 console, Xbox One console, or other devices that support HDMI output.
- One of the best things about streaming with Oculus Quest is that you can use the real-time audio and video quality of your computer to give you an even more immersive experience.
- The other thing that’s great about streaming with Oculus Quest is that it’s completely wireless, so there are no cables connecting your computer and headset.
- This feature works out of the box with most modern operating systems such as Windows 10, macOS (OS X), Linux, Chrome OS and Android 6+.
- This feature requires an internet connection for streaming purposes, but it does not require an internet connection for local storage purposes (i.e., if you want the content on your headset).
- If you’re having issues with streaming your content to your Oculus Quest, you can try connecting the Oculus Quest head-mounted display to your PC or Mac.
- If you want more details on how to configure this feature, visit the Oculus Quest section of our website.
Benefit Of Oculus Quest Stream
- You can stream your Oculus Quest to your TV and watch movies, shows, and games in virtual reality
- You can use the Oculus Quest as a wireless screen for a PC or Mac to show content on your TV screen
- You can use the Oculus Quest as a wireless display for an Android smartphone or tablet to show its screen
- You can use the Oculus Quest as a wireless display for an iPhone or iPad to show its screen
- The Oculus Quest has a built-in microphone so you could even use it as a voice-command system for controlling other devices that are connected to this feature (i.e., you could browse the web with voice commands)
- If you have an Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, PlayStation 4 or Xbox One game console with one of these gaming consoles attached to your television set, then you will be able to play those games in VR
- The new standalone Oculus Quest headset is a basic PC replacement, meaning you can do more than just play games and watch movies in VR. You can actually use the Oculus Quest as a monitor for your PC or Mac to show content on your TV screen
- The Quest will be able to stream 360-degree videos (which are videos that are viewed from all angles) to your TV screen
- If you have an Android phone or tablet with one of these phones or tablets attached to your television set, then you will be able to use that device as a wireless display for this feature (i.e., browse the web using voice commands using Google Assistant)
Disadvantage Of Oculus Quest Stream
- The screen size of the Oculus Quest is smaller than most TVs, and the resolution is lower than many 4K TVs.
- You will need to find a spot for your Oculus Quest on your TV.
- The Oculus Quest stream is not available on all platforms or apps, and the feature isn’t yet fully tested by developers.
- The Oculus Quest Stream is only available to people who have a Chromecast or Fire TV device connected to their TV
The Way Of Use Chromecast With An Oculus Rift
- If you have a Chromecast device already, you can use it to stream content to your Oculus Rift
- You can also use a third-party app like Nvidia Shield TV Remote to control your Oculus Rift from a distance
- You can also use a virtual reality video streaming app like VRV to stream your content to your Chromecast-connected screen in your home
- Or you can use a PC or mobile device to connect to your Oculus Rift and stream content directly to your TV
- The workaround for this limitation is to use a third-party app that supports streaming content from your Oculus Rift to a Chromecast-connected screen
- There are a few such apps available, including Stream To TV and Viviana Play
- Once you’ve installed one of these apps and connected your Oculus Rift to the TV using the provided cable, you can start streaming your VR content directly to the TV screen
The Oculus Quest is an exciting new device that brings standalone VR to a new level. It’s comfortable, intuitive, and capable of delivering excellent VR experiences with just a single device. As you can see, you can still have a great time with the Quest even without the ability to stream to a Chromecast device. With the added functionality coming soon, however, it’s likely that the Quest will become even more popular than it already is.
Can I use the Oculus Quest with a Samsung Gear VR?
No, you can’t. The Oculus Quest and the Samsung Gear VR are not compatible with each other.
Is it possible to stream to my TV using the Oculus Quest?
Yes, it is possible. You can use a third-party app like Nvidia Shield TV Remote to control your Oculus Rift from a distance. You can also use a virtual reality video streaming app like VRV to stream your content to your Chromecast-connected screen in your home.