AirPods are an extremely useful device, but they’re a little strange. They require no wires, they use some unusual protocols to talk to your phone and they’re also equipped with motion sensors that can detect when you take them out of your ears or put them back in. That last bit is why it’s so weird that the AirPods need to be so close to your phone before they turn on and connect to it. The maximum range of these things is about 10 inches — which seems very unhelpful for wireless headphones. But the upside to this is that, once you get closer again, they will automatically reconnect. You don’t have to find the pairing code again or anything like that; once you get within range, they just auto-connect once more. Honestly, this makes them a lot easier to use than other Bluetooth headsets out there. So how far can air pods be away from phones?
How far can AirPods be away from phones?
If you’re further than that, the audio will start to cut out and eventually go silent. Keep in mind though that this is under ideal circumstances with no obstacles in between. If there are walls or other objects blocking the signal, it’ll reduce the distance you can be from your phone before the audio cuts out.
How to Find the Perfect Distance for AirPods?
- Put your AirPods on and pair them with your iPhone
- Now, walk around the room while holding your phone in front of you.
- As you walk around the room, try to find the distance where the AirPods automatically reconnect with your phone when you take them out of your ears for a moment.
- Once you find that distance, hold your phone at this distance and walk around the room again. If they don’t automatically reconnect, move closer to or farther away from the phone until they do.
- Repeat this process until you find a range where the AirPods automatically reconnect with your iPhone when you take them out of your ears for a moment. You will probably want to set them somewhere between 6 and 10 inches away from your iPhone since that’s how far they will work before disconnecting again (and it’s also how far you can be away before they start playing music).
How To Improve The Range Of Airpods?
- Placing your iPhone in a case or your AirPods in the charging case can help improve the range of your AirPods. This is because the signal has to pass through two layers of material before it gets to your ear.
- Ensure that nothing is blocking the earbud’s antenna. If you have long hair, make sure it isn’t covering them up and if you are wearing glasses, make sure they aren’t blocking them.
- Use an Apple Watch Series with a cellular connection so that you can stream Apple Music over cellular data when you are away from your phone and want to listen to music.
- Turn on Wi-Fi calling on your iPhone so that you can use voice calls over Wi-Fi when there isn’t any cell service available, which may happen often in areas without coverage or if you are listening to music while out running or cycling and leave behind cell service areas.
- Use an AT&T or Verizon SIM card in your iPhone to get LTE data while listening to music or making a call.
- Make sure that you are using a strong Wi-Fi signal, like one from Apple AirPort Extreme or other high-quality Wi-Fi routers.
- Turn off the auto-pause feature on your iPhone if you have it enabled so that playback continues when you take one earbud out of your ear and put it back in again, rather than pausing the music when you take one earbud out of your ear and putting it back in again.
A Few Tips For Using Your Airpods
Keep the charging case on your person.
The charging case is compact and slim, which makes it easy to fit in your pocket or purse. You’ll find yourself taking the case with you more often than you might expect, so keep it with you at all times if possible.
Restarting your AirPods will help them connect to your phone again if they become unresponsive.
If an AirPod falls out of your ear and won’t connect again, sometimes all you need to do is just restart it by holding down the center button for five seconds to get them working again. This will be a common occurrence during the first few weeks of use; just be patient and try this method to get them working again. It’s a good idea to carry around a toothpick with you so you can push them back into place if they fall out during use too — that happened to me once, and I was very thankful for that toothpick.
If your AirPods aren’t connecting, try leaving your phone in the charging case for a few minutes.
If your AirPods aren’t connecting to your phone, try putting the phone in the charging case and waiting for a few minutes. Sometimes that will reset the connection, and they should reconnect once you take them out of the case again. This is especially useful if you’re having issues with only one of them not connecting.
If this doesn’t work, try turning Bluetooth off and back on again on both devices, and then try reconnecting manually from there.
If nothing else works, try turning Bluetooth off and back on again on both devices — this will force them to forget each other and start over from scratch when you turn it back on again — then try reconnecting manually from there instead of auto-reconnecting as normal (see below).
What Are Some Of The Benefits Of Using Airpods?
- It is extremely easy for one to connect their AirPods with their iPhone or iPad.
- The sound quality is amazing and the bass is really good too.
- It has a built-in mic that makes it very convenient to take calls and listen to music at the same time.
- The earbuds are not heavy at all; you do not feel like there is something stuck in your ear while you are wearing them.
The AirPods are very good at staying connected to your phone. If you’re having trouble getting them to stay connected, try the tips above. If that doesn’t work, you should contact Apple Support to see if your AirPods are faulty. One thing to keep in mind is that you can use your AirPods with other devices. For this, you’ll need to enter the Bluetooth pairing code on the device you want to connect to them. This will disconnect your AirPods from your iPhone or iPad, so make sure you have your phone handy to pair them back up. If you have any questions or comments, please let us know. We’d love to hear from you.